Creative, multi-talented, driven communications professional with fourteen years’ experience in video production and project management. Documented record of successful live broadcast productions, development of new programming, and revitalization of existing projects. Known for managing numerous complex projects, reacting quickly to problems and tight deadlines.
- Studio/Field Producing
- Project Management
- Creative Concept Design
- Team Building
- Client Management
- Media Relations
- Event Planning
- Script/Creative Writing
- On Camera Hosting
- Conflict Negotiation
- Treatment/Proposal Writing
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Public Speaking
- Video Editing (Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects)
- Audio Editing (Adobe Audition Pro)
- Sony PXW-FS5 XDCAM Super 35 w/zoom lens
- Tascam DR-701D 6 Track Field recorder
- Ikan Rayden LED Bi-Color Light Kit
- Blackmagic Assist HDMI 6G-SDI Recorder & Monitor
- Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK 12-input Multi-Track Mixer
- Vinten System Vision Blue Flowtech 75 Carbon Fiber Tripod
- Blackmagic Ultrastudio Minirecorder + OBS
Penn State Rock Ethics Institute (College of the Liberal Arts)
- Plan and execute comprehensive communication plans for external and internal public relations campaigns through multi-channel dissemination to keep key audiences informed of faculty research and institute achievements.
- Translate complex data, research, issues, concepts, and information for multi-platform distribution including social media posts, articles, websites, and niche publications.
- Research, interview sources, and translate faculty research into compelling press releases, features, story ideas, photos, video, audio content.
- Work with strategic communications throughout the university, as well as university department representatives and colleges, to promote unit and develop new partnerships and programming.
- Lead the identification and development of strategies and tactics for reaching different audiences, with an emphasis on the exploration and development of emerging communication channels.
- Manage relationships with the media to promote programs, achievements, and faculty research on a national, regional and local level; respond to media inquiries and coordinate interviews.
- Consult faculty and leadership team on programming plans and coordination of communication efforts to maximize audience impact and reach.
Rock Ethics Website Redesign and Development
- Redesigned sitemap, design, and development specs for new PLONE site to Liberal Arts IT (est. completion Sept. 2018).
Rock the News Podcast
- Research, book guests, host/interview, engineer, edit, upload monthly podcast to iTunes and rockthenewspodcast.com.
Stand Up Awards
- Produced, directed and shot some video for annual Stand Up Awards video. Implemented social media campaign and enlisted student ambassadors to expand the audience reach for the campaign. Developed creative concept and designs for campaign including photography, poster design, print collateral, and social media posts.
Georgia Public Broadcasting
Producer/Director, On Second Thought
January 2017-June 2017WhitneyChirdonResumeMay2018
Producer and director for live, daily radio talk show hosted by former NPR host, Celeste Headlee.
- Pitch, produce, conduct interviews, and edit news radio story segments complemented by rich audio elements.
- Manage performance of live broadcast and control room operations during production; direct remote broadcasts.
- Serve as TD during live program operating ENCO, book and route connection with guests via ISDN, Skype, phone, etc.
WPSU, Penn State Public Broadcasting
Senior Video Producer/Director
November 2007-October 2015
Successfully created, pre-produced, produced, directed, delivered and coordinated custom video and media productions in various lengths and budgets, including programs broadcast on WPSU-TV as well as promotional, recruiting, and educational videos for Penn State.
- Created, managed, and coordinated video and multi-media projects as the team leader or independently.
- Managed day-to-day operations of multiple concurrent projects with responsibility for the creative vision, meeting technical standards and creating editorial content. This included camera direction, graphics, music, lighting, talent, scripts, location, equipment, file format delivery, etc.
- Generated detailed communications systems with timelines, assignments, project goals, treatments, production rundowns, and equipment details to project team throughout all phases of each project. This was essential in gathering team feedback, coordinating timely kick-off of team member tasks, documenting project progress, enhancing cohesiveness, and efficiency of team efforts.
- Led and directed team members during all phases of the production process including presenting project proposals, running production meetings, directing in field and studio, overseeing post-production, receiving executive producer and client feedback, and final delivery.
- Supervised up to 20 individuals per project, including production crew, junior producing staff, talent, marketing personnel, multimedia, engineering, administration, outside contractors/vendors, and interns.
- Made critical decisions negotiating and resolving technical, editorial, and personnel issues under pressure of live broadcasts and tight deadlines.
- Collaborated with clients and colleagues to develop video and project strategy to meet unique needs and budgets. Communicated project vision and timelines to the production crew, senior leadership, and clients, and informed team of progress.
- Planned project media strategy, served as media spokesperson, wrote press releases, managed social media for projects.
- Orchestrated creative treatment including style, graphics, music, content, scripts, scouted locations, scheduled shoots, directed cameras and conducted interviews. Managed editors and audio mix in post-production, and contributed to video editing. Produced testimonials, new branding campaigns, sizzle spots, and program spots.
- Wrote grant proposals and secured funding upwards of $30,000 from sources such as WNET and The Corporation for Public Broadcasting for on-air campaigns, including American Graduate Day, Protect My Public Media, and My Source.
- Received My Source Education Innovation Award from CPB for the Blue Ribbon Readers spot (2010).
- Encoded video to the proper format for publishing to various channels and platforms. Managed content for archival into the digital library.
- Established standard operating procedures and long-range plans for the conversion of production practices of video editing online to offline systems; implementation of new branding campaigns in pre-production editing to the process of uploading to broadcast servers; and in the training of personnel in use of style guides for new on-air logos.
- Designed, produced and hosted “After Abbey,” a LIVE, post-“Downton Abbey” talk show, which expanded the late-night audience and generated a younger demographic of viewers.
- Implemented new talk show format incorporating social media during the live broadcast, which has now become the current model for local programming on WPSU.
- Selected program topics, designed new set, developed graphics package, booked guests, developed show rundowns, edited video roll-in elements, promos, and wrote scripts and interview questions.
- Worked closely with senior leadership and development team during project planning to provide budgetary details and editorial concepts that held fundraising revenue and promotional potential.
- Organized and executed events to sold-out crowds, taking the program beyond the screen and social media into local communities for screenings and appearances.
Our Town series
- Created and launched strategy to revitalize most successful fundraising program in WPSU’s history, increasing annual production from two 60-minute episodes to six, while reducing the budget, consolidating staff time, and facility usage. Produced more than 30 successful revenue-generating episodes.
- Transformed promotion strategy for the series, which resulted in greater participation from communities in content contribution and in audience response.
- Established new production model, which improved efficiency and led to other stations adopting the program and project template. Taught production seminars, presented for PBS at the Annual Meeting in 2013, and led webinars for National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA).
Broadcast Talk Show Programming
- Produced more than 200 episodes of 60-minute live call-in programs, including, “To The Best of My Knowledge with Penn State President Graham Spanier,” and “Conversations LIVE,” that were simulcast on WPSU-TV, WPSU-FM, WITF-TV, PCN, and wpsu.org.
- Arranged on-air interviews with local and national celebrities, coached and prepped TV hosts for guest interviews.
- Selected topics, booked guests, researched subject matter, wrote interview questions, and scripts for weekly shows.
- Directed and supervised crew during pre-production and during live broadcasts.
- Served as lead producer and creator of new PSU president’s TV series at the request of President’s office.
WPSU-TV (PBS), WPSU-FM (NPR)
On-Air Host, Penn State Public Broadcasting
February 2002 – present
- Volunteer host for live television fundraising breaks on TV and radio; host video stand-ups w/teleprompter; interviews; etc.
Big Ten Network, ABC/ESPN Sports
Freelance Stage Manager
March 2007 – present
- Produced on-air talent in the booth during live sports broadcasts on Big Ten Network, ABC, ESPN, and ESPN U.
- Dress sets, set and strike equipment before and after shows.
- Manage on-camera interviews with athletes and coaches during games.
WPSU, Penn State Public Broadcasting
Associate Video Producer
October 2005 – November 2007
- Produced studio and field productions for broadcast on WPSU-TV, as well as marketing and educational video projects for Penn State.
- Scheduled productions, organizing numerous crews, researched and wrote scripts and treatments, booked guests and talent, directed live broadcasts and hosted on camera.
- Lead producer for 5 on-air fundraising campaigns each year from 2005-2015, generating approximately $800,000/year in revenue.
WPSU, Penn State Public Broadcasting
Senior Promotions Associate
September 2003- October 2005
- Initiated and executed station development and community events.
- Planned and hosted regional events for community outreach projects and live productions with audience members, which involved managing recruitment of audience and event attendees.
- Designed décor and event themes, selected and scheduled entertainment, and scouted and secured venues.
- Developed promotional strategy including print collateral, press releases, ad copy, event speeches, website content.
- Managed client and donor relationships and interact with major donors to promote station achievements at events.
On Air Host/ Board Operator
April 2002- October 2005
- Acted as local host and board operator of National Public Radio programs.
Centre Daily Times
August 2002- October 2004
- Interviewed, researched and wrote artist profiles, event previews, spotlight articles and music reviews for the local newspaper.
WPSU, Penn State Public Broadcasting
Donor Services Coordinator
February 2002- September 2003
- Participated in the planning and execution of six on-air fundraising drives for radio and television each year.
- Wrote on-air fundraising scripts for television and radio hosts.
- Coordinated scheduling of local volunteers during fundraising drives.
- Served as primary point of contact for high-level donor calls, questions, and concerns.
The Barash Group
Advertising Account Executive
September 2001- February 2002
- Assessed customers’ needs to sell display advertising for the local magazine.
- Created campaign proposals, designed ad layouts, and wrote copy for client advertisements and promotions.
- Expanded client base through establishing relationships with new businesses.
Centre Daily Times
Advertising Sales Assistant
March 2001- September 2001
- Assisted account executives in the scheduling of display advertisements and in the preparation of ad proofs for clients.
- Researched account territories for potential business.
- Prepared promotional launches for new CDT publications and products.
- Developed advertising plans and campaigns for clients.
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies and French, 2000
Minor in Women’s Studies
- Music From Penn State: Music Theatre Spotlight, Winner, Mid-Atlantic Emmy Award, Best Entertainment, 2009, 2012
- Music From Penn State: Music Theatre Spotlight, Nominee, Mid-Atlantic Emmy Award, Best Entertainment, 2013, 2014
- Our Town series, Nominee, Mid-Atlantic Emmy Award, Community Service Programming, 2014, 2015
- Presenter, PBS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 2013
Download a copy of my resumé here: